Re: Compilation of V on Digital Unix

Teun Burgers wrote:
> I tried to compile V on digital Unix and ran into
> the following problem when compiling the athena version.
>
> awscl3d.c: In function `RepeatNotify':
> awscl3d.c:993: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
>
>  XtCallCallbacks((Widget)sbw, XtNscrollProc, (XtPointer) call_data);
>
> call_data is an int (4 byte) and XtPointer is defined in X11/Intrinsic.h
> as void * (8 byte), so conversion is difficult. The
> compiler (gcc) then runs into an internal compiler error.
>
> What is your opinion about this?

Digital UNIX V4.0D  (Rev. 878); Tue Jun 16 12:44:31 EDT 1998
<snip>
<censored>$ uname -a
OSF1 <censored> V4.0 878 alpha
<censored>$ gcc --version
2.7.2.3
<censored>$ cat foo.c
void som(void *foo) {printf("%d\n",(int)(foo));}
void main() {som((void*)(15));}
<censored>$ gcc foo.c
foo.c: In function `som':
foo.c:1: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
<censored>$ ./a.out
15

As you can see, a minimal example works.  I will run out of quotas
if I compile V there (and I don't really have time for it anyway).

I agree that this is ugly, but it should work.  Get the latest
GCC.

> The motif version does compile but does not look good.

Nothing looks good on DEC terminals. <g>

--
Drive^H^Hnk safely!
Alex  @  http://welcome.to/averstak/