Re: Are debian developers members of SPI ?

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 09:44:53AM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> There is no implied membershipt, however if Debian Developers apply
> they will become active members "automatically" due to their work
> on Debian.  You should be able to find something on www.spi-inc.org.

That's the same page discussing (incorrectly) how SPI owns the Open Source
trademark which hasn't been updated anytime in the past two years, right?
No, SPI is dead.  This has become patently obvious to anyone watching the
list traffic, the web page, and even the occasional thread from concerned
people on -devel.

The SPI board is run by Ian Jackson who for all intents and purposes shows
up these days perhaps once or twice a year to flame someone for doing
things wrong.  Its treasurer has been MIA for months.  The others on the
board?  Busy or otherwise unavailable.

SPI did not have its annual board meeting - which is required to remain
incorporated - nor could it even have its board meeting since it's only
got half a board on paper and even less in reality.

My advice to anyone looking for the kind of services SPI claims to offer
is to look elsewhere.  SPI lacks the organizational hierarchy, the
motivation, and a board of directors to actually get anything done.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                Free software developer

*** Topic for #redhat:  ReDHaT is the answer to all your problems. It
    could be the start too!