[evan@telly.org: Questions for ZDNet article]

Since Mr. Leibovitch has failled once again to do anything resembling
homework before he starts acting based on what he "knows" (like that
Wichert is the head of SPI for example and various outright lies he has
spread about Debian in previous columns) I guess somebody has to direct
this person to SPI and let them handle it.

I would reply to Mr. Leibovitch directly, however I would likely not be
terribly kind to him given his blatant misrepresentation of my favorite
free software project for what can be easily shown to be to his direct
financial advantage....  Well, lets just say I've rewritten these two
paragraphs about six times trying to make what I'm writing something I'm
willing to show the general public.  I'm not pleased with the guy so far.

<Knghtbrd> I can think of lots of people who need USER=ID10T someplace!
<Knghtbrd> It'd be a great service to mankind don't you think?
--- Begin Message ---
Hello there.

I write a regular piece at linux.zdnet.com, and I've been hoping to talk
to someone at SPI briefly about the decision of the US Patent and
Trademark Office to abandon SPI's registration of the term "Open Source".

This is my third request to SPI for some kind of comment, and my deadline
if fast approaching. If you could help me reach the people involved, or if
one of you could personally help me with answers to these questions, I
would very much appreciate it.

Feel free to call me at (905) 452 0504, but you're welcome to answer in
email if you prefer -- or give me a phone number and I'll call you. My
main questions are:

- Why didn't SPI reply to the USPTO's "office action", a request for
  clarification, issued September 17?

- How long ago did SPI know that the registration process would be
  abandoned?

- What effect, if any, did the competing ownership claims by SPI and
  OSI have on the registration process?

- What is the Debian group's (or SPI's) general reaction to this?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

- Evan Leibovitch
  evan@telly.org