Re: Updating the NBD assignment at IANA

On Wed, Apr 24, 2024 at 03:37:22PM +0200, Lars Rohwedder wrote:

> > - For the "Assignee", I would like to ask them to mention this
> >    mailinglist.
> >    […]
> > - I'll leave the contact as is for now. RFC6335 mentions "The Contact
> >    person is the responsible person for the Internet community to send
> >    questions to.  This person is also authorized to submit changes on
> >    behalf of the Assignee; in cases of conflict between the Assignee and
> >    the Contact, the Assignee decisions take precedence," which to me
> >    reads like a person is required (and I'm happy to continue filling
> >    this role).
> That means: The "Assignee" (the ML) has precedence over decisions made by
> the "Contact" (you).
>
> 🤔

Which, given that the community is larger than just me, seems
appropriate?

> > - For the description, I would like to drop the "Linux" part in the
> >    description. There are implementations of NBD that are wholly
> >    unrelated to Linux, and so I don't think it's entirely accurate
> >    anymore to refer to NBD as a "Linux" protocol.
>
> ACK.
>
> I am curious: Are there other OS (BSD flavours?) that uses NBD at the client
> side? If yes, they should be mentioned in the NBD's readme, I'd suggest.

There are, indeed, and they are already mentioned there (under the
section "Alternate implementations").

Up-to-date client implementations exist for Windows, FreeBSD, qemu, and
bare metal, as well as in library form through libnbd.

There also used to be implementations for The Hurd and Plan 9, but they
appear to have disappeared off the Internet.

Finally, there is also an implementation of nbd in "bitrig", an openbsd
fork for arm machines. I can't find any reference to it anymore though.

> > - At the time, there was no public reference for the NBD protocol yet; I
> >    plan to add the link to proto.md on github as the official reference.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Go for it! :-)

Since I only got positive replies here, doing so.

--
     w@uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}

I will have a Tin-Actinium-Potassium mixture, thanks.