Re: Requesting some information regarding building nbd-client for macos

Hi Rohan,

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 06:40:46PM +0200, Rohan Khanna wrote:
>    Hello
>    I am writing to you requesting for some information as to how may I go
>    about building nbd-client for macos. Anything to point me in the right
>    direction would be greatly appreciated.

It's not that simple.

The Linux nbd-client program doesn't actually speak the NBD protocol; it
does the handshake, and then hands the connected socket to the kernel.
It is then the kernel which implements the NBD protocol, using the
already set up socket from user space.

If you're going to port NBD to macOS (which would be awesome!), you'll
need to do something in kernel space to mirror the Linux nbd.ko module.
To the best of my knowledge, nobody has done the necessary work for now,
so you'll have your work cut out for you.

Should you wish to take on this challenge, note that the NBD protocol
documentation is at
<https://github.com/NetworkBlockDevice/nbd/blob/master/doc/proto.md>.

Kind regards,

--