Re: [PATCH 12/13] loop: remove lo_refcount and avoid lo_mutex in ->open / ->release
- To: Christoph Hellwig <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@I-love.SAKURA.ne.jp>, Dave Chinner <email@example.com>, Jan Kara <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Jens Axboe <email@example.com>, Josef Bacik <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Minchan Kim <email@example.com>, Nitin Gupta <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "Darrick J . Wong" <email@example.com>, Ming Lei <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 12/13] loop: remove lo_refcount and avoid lo_mutex in ->open / ->release
- From: Jan Kara <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:30:45 +0200
- Message-id: <[🔎] firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <[🔎] 20220325162331.GA16355@lst.de>
- References: <[🔎] email@example.com> <[🔎] firstname.lastname@example.org> <[🔎] email@example.com> <[🔎] 96a4e2e7-e16e-7e89-255d-8aa29ffca68b@I-love.SAKURA.ne.jp> <[🔎] 20220324172335.GA28299@lst.de> <[🔎] 0b47dbee-ce17-7502-6bf3-fad939f89bb7@I-love.SAKURA.ne.jp> <[🔎] 20220325162331.GA16355@lst.de>
On Fri 25-03-22 17:23:31, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 07:54:15PM +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> > > But for now I'd really prefer to stop moving the goalpost further and
> > > further.
> > Then, why not kill this code?
> I think we should eventually do that, and I've indeed tested a patch
> that is only cosmetically different. I wasn't really convinced we
> should do it in this series, but if there is consensus that we should
> do it now I can respin the series with a patch like this included.
I'd defer it to a separate patchset. Because as much as the change to
disallow LOOP_CLR_FD ioctl for used loop device makes sense, I'm not sure
there isn't some framework using loop devices somewhere which relies on
this just getting magically translated to setting LO_AUTOCLEAR flag. So IMO
this has a big potential of userspace visible regression and as such I'd
prefer doing it separately from the bugfixes.
Jan Kara <firstname.lastname@example.org>
SUSE Labs, CR