Re: Allowing > 32 bit lengths for NBD_CMD_TRIM, NBD_CMD_WRITE_ZEROES

On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 01:31:37PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 01:53:30PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 12:12:45PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
[...]
> > > Also I'm not sure about the name "structured" request.  Why not
> > > "large" request (and call the current one "small" request)?  The name
> > > "structured" also implies there is some connection with this feature
> > > and the Structured Replies feature, but AFAIK there is no connection.
> >
> > There is one, in that I reused the magic number for structured replies,
> > but that's minor (and probably not even a good idea at all, too; we use
> > different magic numbers for normal requests and replies too, so, hrm)
> >
> > I was trying to come up with a good name and didn't want to repeat the
> > "oldstyle"/"newstyle"/"fixed newstyle" mistake that I made with the
> > names for the negotiation protocol phases. "large" and "small" seem
> > slightly better in that respect, except that if we then add another
> > field later it becomes... "extra large"? Or something. Not sure about
> > that one.
> >
> > I'm definitely not happy with "structured" myself either for the reasons
> > you quote (and others), but it feels a bit like the lesser evil to me at
> > this point in time.
>
> Yeah I would definitely try to avoid "structured".  How about
> "extended" request?

And then a future extension could call it an "overextended" request?
Would be a nice pun, I suppose ;-)

> Or even name them according to the size in bytes:
> the current request would be "request28", the new request format would
> be "request46", assuming I've added those fields up correctly.

I was tempted to go for that one, but then name it something like "28
byte request" and "46 byte request". In the end though I went for "v1"
(old) and "v2" (new). As in, version two. Makes sense, simple. Not so
creative, but meh.

Still need to write up the OPT message, though.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab