Re: [Nbd] Moving this list to lists.debian.org?

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 05:10:18PM +0200, Alex Bligh wrote:

> > On 25 Jul 2017, at 15:27, Wouter Verhelst <w@...112...> wrote:
> >
> > A long-standing complaint on this list is that the signal-to-spam ratio
> > of it has been terrible since we made it an open subscription list. When
> > I talked to sourceforge support about it, they essentially said "so
> > don't make it an open subscription list", which is not acceptable for a
> > list that is listed in the MAINTAINERS file in the kernel.
> >
> > I had planned on asking for a list to be created on alioth.debian.org,
> > but in light of that now being decomissioned, the alioth maintainers
> > have told me I should instead aim for creating a list on
> > lists.debian.org instead. They require public subscription, but that's
> > what we want anyway, and they require that the list is for software
> > already in Debian, but that's also the case. So it seems like we might
> > be able to fit.
> >
> > Is there anyone on this list who would object to that? If so, are there
> > any suggestions for better alternatives?
> >
> > If no objections are put forward, I'll go ahead with asking for creation
> > of the list in a few weeks.
>
> Moving it anywhere but sourceforge seems like a good plan. The other
> obvious choice would be vger.kernel.org, but I'm happy with Debian.

Right, I suppose that would work too.

> To be aware of: I believe moving to Debian mailing lists means that
> users need to abide by the Debian Code of Conduct
> (https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct). This is in my opinion
> no bad thing, but people should be aware of this as it is (I believe,
> correct me if I am wrong) a consequence of the move. Note the code
> of conduct thing isn't a contributor agreement or whatever, it is
> in essence a statement that you should be respectful to people on
> the list and therefore should be unobjectionable.

Additional data point: as I was the primary author of that document, it
pretty much represents my thoughts on the matter ;-)

Seriously though, Debian's code of conduct was primarily meant to be a
"please be courteous and respectful towards others" type of document,
which should be a no-brainer. It has a "we may ban trolls" clause, but
other than that there's nothing to be afraid of.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab