Re: [Nbd] Current HEAD fails make check

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 04:23:02PM +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:

> --On 9 June 2011 16:26:38 +0200 Wouter Verhelst <w@...112...> wrote:
>
> >> [generic]
> >>         oldstyle = true
> >> [export]
> >>         exportname = /tmp/foo
> >>         port = 11112
> >
> > If you run nbd-server with a config file, open_modern is always called.
> > You can't switch that off.
>
> OK. So if open_modern is always called with a config file,
> what does "oldstyle=true" do? Is open_modern not the opposite
> of oldstyle?

No.

If oldstyle is specified, then nbd-server will also export using the
oldstyle handshake, in addition to the newstyle exports. Without that
option, nbd-server will only export using the newstyle handshake. This
is to provide backward compatibility.

> > This is by design; I want to deprecate  oldstyle exports.
>
> My favourite simplification here would be to untangle or the
> oldstyle and newstyle stuff. If you specify a config file, you
> ONLY get newstyle exports. If you don't and you specify a port
> number on the command line, you ONLY get oldstyle exports. I

That is what happens, unless the config file contains "oldstyle = true".
Support for config files predates newstyle negotiation by a wide
margin...

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22