Re: [Nbd] Error reading initial password when exporting /dev/video0

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 07:50:48PM +0200, Hans de Bruin wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> >>Beyond verry big. Its an endless mpg stream from an tv encoder card
> >
> > Ah, I see.
> >
> > NBD does not support that; it assumes a file or block device with fixed
> > size. Patches to fix that are welcome.
>
> So /dev/video is probably an character device like the audio devices.

Yes, that's very likely.

'ls -l /dev/video*' will tell you. If it's a chardev, the permission
bits will start with c rather than b (as is the case for block devices).

> Patching will be difficult. In c I never passed the hello world grade

*g*

> and after some googleling it looks like the behavior of chardevs is
> probably to different to fit in nbd. I will have to find a workaround.

Have you looked at vlc? It supports live streaming of whatever you're
playing over the network. I use it to stream DVD's from my laptop (with
12" screen) to my brother's desktop (with 17" screen, but without
DVD-ROM). Works like a charm.

Don't know whether it also supports /dev/video* devices; but if it does,
that's what you want ;-)

pavement is precisely one bananosecond