Re: FIP test results

Joe, All,
yes Mats is right to advise use of the vrpt tool, which
produces slightly better output.

FIP results are generally produced when the test suite was unable to
determine a test result for itself. Any references such
as
	Posix Ref: Component TAR Assertion 10.1.1-17(A)
	Reference 3.7-24(C) (for FHS tests)
refer to the test specification, and the assertion number within the
specification. Test specs, man pages and assertions should be located
under the MAN/tset directory.

I attach some examples with commentary below, from a journal i produced
(slightly edited for anonymity)

                             FIP Results Signatures
                             ______________________

	/tset/POSIX.os/dataform/tar/T.tar 12

		Test Description:
	If the linkname does not fit in the space  provided  (100  characters)
	the format-creating utility shall not attempt to store the link on the
	medium.
	Posix Ref: Component TAR Assertion 10.1.1-17(A)

		Test Information:
	create utility exited with code 1

	Signature/Date ____________________________________

The tar tests call an intermediate shell script for creating tar format
archives.  I believe that the script is using  pax and is putting out a
diagnostic in this case  and since to pax thats an error, it exits with
the exit status >0

	/tset/POSIX.os/procenv/uname/T.uname 1

		Test Description:
	Information identifying the current operating system is stored in the
	structure pointed to by name and a non-negative value is returned by
	uname(name).
	Posix Ref: Component UNAME Assertion 4.4.1.2-04(A)

(note i have hidden the system info here)
		Test Information:
	system name - Linux
	node name   - censored
	release     - censored
	version     - censored
	machine     - i686

	Signature/Date ____________________________________

It's always possible uname could be putting out rubbish, so you sign
off that its output is correct

	/tset/LSB.fhs/root/etc/etc-tc 24

		Test Description:

		Test Information:
	Reference 3.7-24(C)
	If the implementation supports the subsystem
	The implementation provides the file /etc/gateways
	/etc/gateways: file not found
	exit code 1 returned, expected 0
	This test result needs to be manually resolved, returning FIP result

	Signature/Date ____________________________________

For FHS, there are a number of optional files only required "if the
subsystem is installed", hence they return a FIP if not found
requiring a signoff

	/tset/LSB.fhs/root/etc/etc-tc 38

		Test Description:

		Test Information:
	Reference 3.7-38(C)
	If the system supports the subsystem
	the /etc/sgml directory exists and is searchable
	/etc/sgml: directory not found
	exit code 1 returned, expected 0
	This test result needs to be manually resolved, returning FIP result

	Signature/Date ____________________________________

ditto for FHS

	/tset/LSB.fhs/root/sbin/sbin-tc 5

		Test Description:

		Test Information:
	Reference 3.14-5 (C)
	The implementation may provide an exec-able version of the update
	utility in the /sbin directory.
	/sbin/update not found.
	This test result needs to be manually resolved, returning FIP result

	Signature/Date ____________________________________

On reflection perhaps based on this assertion (which is a may provide)
this should just give another result code rather than FIP. For now
it needs signoff to say you do not provide /sbin/update.

	/tset/LSB.fhs/var/spool-lpd/spool-lpd-tc 2

		Test Description:

		Test Information:
	Reference 5.14.3-2(C)
	If the implementation has the lpd daemon running then
	The lock file /var/spool/lpd/lpd.lock exists
	/var/spool/lpd/lpd.lock: file not found
	exit code 1 returned, expected 0
	This test result needs to be manually resolved

	Signature/Date ____________________________________

A reason to sign this one of is either no lpd daemon running,
or you use a print subsystem other than lpd

	/tset/LSB.os/procenv/chroot/T.chroot 4

		Test Description:

		Test Information:
	execve() of ./chroot_t4 failed - errno 2 (ENOENT)

	Signature/Date ____________________________________

There ought to be more information put out by this test
case, and thats something that should be fed back into the source
for the next maintenance update. This relates to a chroot() call in a
shared library environment, and can be signed off if that is the
cause.

So in the certification system you need to complete the FIP table
in
http://www.opengroup.org/lsb/cert/docs/certprimer/img41.html
selecting Yes as appropriate, and including a very brief reason
if necessary (e.g. for tar.12  pax used).
regards
Andrew