Re: C++ ...

Havoc Pennington wrote:

Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> writes:

If the LSB does define additional libraries, it might be worthwhile to
bundle them in optional subparts of the LSB.  For example, if GNOME 2
were defined in the LSB, packages requiring GNOME 2 might depend on
lsb-gnome2.  Similarly, KDE 3 might be fulfilled by lsb-kde3 on an
LSB-compliant system.

My concern is that the LSB not get overloaded with superfluous
facilities.  So far, it has been a reasonable subset (although the
inclusion of the X libraries in the core standard may be a little on
the way to bloat), but adding every free toolkit out there to it will
lead to massive bloat {Debian's lsb package already pulls in a large
number of packages as it is, without pulling in all of GNOME and KDE
too} unless some sort of modularization is pursued.

As a random note, adding libgnome* and libkde* would be a Bad Idea - I
think only the base toolkits (GTK and Qt) should be considered for the
immediate future at least (1-2 years).

Havoc

This is right. However, 1-2 years I suppose is a lot of time.

Following Matt considerations ...

-------------

The solution to the C++ problem is for vendors to adopt
soon-to-be-released GCC 3.1 as their system compiler.  The LSB will be
adopting "The V3 multi-vendor standard C++ ABI" that GCC 3.1
implements.

-------------------

The discussion to includes Qt will start when GNU GCC 3.1 will be released.

In accord to GNU GCC snapshots ...

   ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots/README

gcc 3.1 will be released in days ... or some week. (Latest snapshot was yesterday)

Then will be the turn for testing Qt 3.0 (of course).

As I introduce before ... OpenMotif is there and may be tested also when gcc 3.1 is released

http://www.linuxbase.org/futures/candidates/index.html

About libgnome* ... I don't know.

About GNOME we have about 1,000 applications released with Gtk(1) ... and some of this are usefull: GIMP

In Madrid, last year I speak call FTX = OpenMotif + Qt + Gtk.

What about?

Thanks,
Giovanni

 Future Technologies, The TOTAL Linux Company!

  http://www.futuretg.com
  ftp://ftp.futuretg.com/
  mailto:gorlando@futuretg.com

  Italia:                          USA
  Via Cairoli, 1                   1620 26th Street - 3rd floor South Tower
  33170 - Pordenone (PN)           Santa Monica - CA

  Telefono: +39 0434 - 209 107.
  Fax:      +39 0434 - 209 510.

	http://www.FTLinuxCourse.com -  The best training product ever made!
	http://www.futuretg.com/FTOSX - The best Operating System ever made!