Re: LSB application to systems vs. packages

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 03:44:46PM -0500, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> On May 07, Grant Bowman wrote:
> > There's a discussion going on right now over on the
> > debian-policy@lists.debian.org mail list.  I am looking for validation
> > in the specification itself that the LSB applies to systems as a whole
> > and not to only *.lsb packages.  This seems like a crazy premise to me,
> > but I'm having trouble finding justifications in the specification to
> > clearly demonstrate otherwise.  Any suggestions?
>
> Just to be clear, the debate is over whether distribution-provided
> init scripts must comply with the Init Scripts section of the
> specification.  My and others' position is that there is no such
> requirement, since LSB-conformant applications (as of LSB 1.1) cannot
> depend on the presence or absence of any particular init script on the
> system, so (a) they shouldn't care what command line arguments they
> accept and (b) they shouldn't care what exit codes they return.
>
> Now, I don't think there is any disagreement that init scripts
> provided by LSB-conformant applications must comply with the spec, as
> the spec provides an interoperable subset of capabilities for init
> scripts to use and an interoperable superset of command line arguments
> for init scripts to function normally.

Yes, that's correct.  The init scripts section of the distribution is
only applicable for LSB applications.

In particular, the commenting conventions were designed only for LSB
applications.  Attempts to generalize the Required-Start: headers,
etc. to work for all init scripts, including system header files, is
possible, but it makes the install_initd script far more complicated.

The only thing which applies to system init scripts as well as the
naming convention.  Here, distributions should register all init.d
script names that they use with LANANA, so that LSB-compliant
applications don't choose init.d script names which conflict with
distribution-provided init scrips.

							- Ted