RE: gettext functions

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

> Actually, dcgettext too.  I don't quite understand
> this database output... why are there six entries
> for gettext, for example: three listed as "All"
> and three as "IA32" for Architecture.

Sigh... It's a normalization thing, sort of. Interfaces have a couple of
additional table that hold part of the information. When you joint them
all together it appears there are duplicates, but there are "hidden" columns
which are actually different.

> I see no reason why the first set should not be
> complete, if we've got gettext and dcgettext,
> we should have dgettext.  All well documented
> in the glibc manpages,

Those are not a specification...

> in the glibc manpages, dgettext is gettext with
> an extra argument, a pointer to the message
> domain (in gettext this is suplied by a previous
> call to textdomain, instead of an explicit
> argument).

Lacking a proper specification to point to, we need to include the description
in the LSB itself.

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson@metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
5807 North Andrews Way                           129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.660.2500                              voice: 803.951.3630
http://www.metrolink.com/                        XFree86 Core Team