Re: LSB1.1: /proc/cpuinfo

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 05:34:01PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Christoph Hellwig <hch@caldera.de>:
> > Please do not document anything in /proc besides the per-process
> > information.
>
> I disagree with this request.  Files like /proc/cpuinfo are very helpful
> for autoconfigurastion and cluster management.  LSB's constituency would
> be better served by more such information, not less.

You missed the point.  There very major reasons why it shouldn't be
standardized (this is Al Viro's wording with whom I just discussed the
issue):

 a) proposed standard doesn't match existing practice
 b) any program relying on described contents is broken at least on
    some platforms for all existing versions of Linux
 c) /proc/cpuinfo WILL disappear from /proc <unholy words snipped>

Besides that your above two applications won't be LSB-compliant due to a
variety of other reason in the near future.

	Christoph

--
The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating system
and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.