Re: LSB1.1: /proc/cpuinfo

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 05:34:01PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Christoph Hellwig <hch@caldera.de>:
> > Please do not document anything in /proc besides the per-process
> > information.
> I disagree with this request.  Files like /proc/cpuinfo are very helpful
> for autoconfigurastion and cluster management.  LSB's constituency would
> be better served by more such information, not less.

You missed the point.  There very major reasons why it shouldn't be
standardized (this is Al Viro's wording with whom I just discussed the

 a) proposed standard doesn't match existing practice
 b) any program relying on described contents is broken at least on
    some platforms for all existing versions of Linux
 c) /proc/cpuinfo WILL disappear from /proc <unholy words snipped>

Besides that your above two applications won't be LSB-compliant due to a
variety of other reason in the near future.

The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating system
and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.