Re: LSB1.1: /proc/cpuinfo

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> This differs from current practice on some Linux architectures, e.g.
> PowerPc, ARM or Sparc/SMP.

Can you please provide some examples? All of the examples I was able to aquire
fit the description (actually, it was written to fit the exmaples 8-)).

> Also /proc/cpuinfo is one of the abuses of the Linux /proc filesystem
> that might be removed in the mid-term timeframe (e.g. Linux 2.6).
>
> Please do not document anything in /proc besides the per-process
> information.

I'd like avoid /proc completely, but we needed a way to determine what
processor features are available (especially on IA32). Without this, we have
to choose the i486 feature set as the least common denominator (ie no MMX, etc).

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson@metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
5807 North Andrews Way                           129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.660.2500                              voice: 803.951.3630
http://www.metrolink.com/                        XFree86 Core Team