Re: runlevel configuration for init.d scripts

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 19, Bodo Meissner wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> in LSB Specification 0.7.8, Chapter 18. System Initialization,
> "Installation and removal of init.d files" I found the following question:
>
> There should be a tool available to the user (ala RedHat's chkconfig)
> which can be used by the system administrator to easily manipulate at
> which init levels a particular init.d script is started or stopped. This
> specification currently does not specify such an interface, however.
> (XXX should it?)
>
> I think the LSB specification should specify such an interface.

Why should we specify an user interface ?

> To make it
> easier for a software manufacturer, we need a common interface to specify
> in which runlevels a service should run. Otherwise I would not trust a

We have this already, for example the portmap script from SuSE Linux 7.1:

# Provides: portmap
# Required-Start: $network
# Required-Stop: $network
# Default-Start: 3 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 2 4 6

The portmapper will only be started in runlevel 3 and 5, not in 2.

> program like /usr/lib/lsb/install_initd to do it's job correctly, but
> rather install the links in the rc?.d directories with my own script
> depending on the distribution and release.

You can trust install_initd if your header in the init script is correct.
The tool mentioned above is for the sysadmin, if he wish to change it
later.

> That's why I think there is no common setting for all programs and we need
> a standard interface.

I still don't understand your problem. You write into the init script,
in which run levels it should be started. lsb/install_initd will
create this links at installation.
Now LSB says there should be a tool, with which the sysadmin can
easy change this. (For example if he uses runlevel 4 for special
reasons). But this is nothing you have to worry about.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Schanzaeckerstr. 10             90443 Nuernberg