Re: LSB Spec 1.0 Criticism

[cc to debian-devel dropped]

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 11:55:04PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 03:35:17PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Why are runlevels specified? If I choose to run a system that doesn't use
> > runlevels, why should ISV's software break? If I choose to give different
> > meanings to the first 6 runlevels, why should ISV's software break?
> More additionally than relatedly, but the facility names section doesn't
> seem entirely clear either.

Further to the facility name issues, what's the intended behaviour for
facilities provided by multiple scripts? If we have scripts A1, A2, B
where:

	A1 # Provides: A
	A2 # Provides: A
	B  # Required-Start: B

would it be correct to run A1, B, A2 or A2, B, A1; or must both A1 and A2
be run before B?

What is the correct behaviour if a Required-Start: or a Required-Stop:
can't be satisfied? (A package has a script that has Required-Start: foo,
but doesn't explicitly list a package providing init.d/foo in the rpm
dependencies) Should the package fail to install entirely somehow? Is it
enough for /usr/lib/lsb/install_initd to exit with a failure code? Should
lsb/install_initd succeed but not run the script? Should everything succeed
and the script be run without "foo" at all?

Similarly, what should happen if some scripts are installed that have
circular Required-Starts?

If we have:

	A1 # Provides: A
	A1 # Required-Start: B

	A2 # Provides: A

	B  # Provides: B
	B  # Required-Start: A

is installing A1.lsb, A2.lsb and B.lsb required to succeed? (Running A2, B, A1
would satisfy the Required-Starts by one reading).

I'd appreciate some answers to these questions (in this and the previous
mail) from some LSB spec people, even if they're only being made up off
the top of your heads...

Cheers,
aj