Re: LSB Spec 1.0 Criticism

On 06 Jul 2001 at 00:42 (+1000), Anthony Towns wrote:
| On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 10:18:33AM -0400, Brent Verner wrote:
| > | If I have scripts /etc/init.d/foo and /etc/init.d/bar in my .lsb
| > | package (with names allocated by LANANANANANA [0]), can I just put a "#
| > | Required-Start: foo" in bar, or do I also need a "# Provides: foo" in foo?
| > you must have a Provides: line if the script Provides a facility
| > that any other script Requires, otherwise, how is the dependency
| > to be resolved?
|
| By looking at the name of the script. ``Facility names may also be init.d
| script names'' -- it's just not clear if that means that init.d script names
| *are* facility names, or if it's merely okay to use the same names twice,
| independently.

it's my interpretation that the name of the script is fairly
insignificant to the LSB. Ideally, there would be a script such
as:

  # lsb_service (start|stop|list|&c) <facility_name>

which could actually execute
/etc/init.d/myfunkyscriptnamethatdoesn_tclashwithanyotherscriptname
this would hide the details of the init script/layout from any user
(or application). There is no such beast in the LSB, but IMO there
should be.