Re: URGENT [PROPOSAL] V3: lsb lib and lsb loader location (alsoIA64)

Stuart Anderson wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
> > Previously Johannes Poehlmann wrote:
> > > 1. lsb library location.
> > >
> > >    lsb libraries native for this architecture
> > >    runtime  libraries       ->      /lib/lsb
> > >    Stub  libraries          ->      /usr/lib/lsb-stub
> > >
> > >    IA32 emulation libraries on non IA32 systems (IA64)
> > >    runtime  libraries       ->      /lib/lsb-ia32compat
> > >    Stub      libraries      ->      /usr/lib/lsb-stub-ia32compat
> >
> > Imho this is silly. IA64 can run IA32 binaries natively, and should
> > also be able to run IA32 software unchanged. But since you use
> > /lib/lbs-ia32compat instead of the normal /lib/lsb that isn't possible
> > so you completely break that nice feature of ia64 systems.
> >
> > The same holds for sparc32/sparc64, mips/mips64, powerpc/powerpc64,
> >  and ia32/x86-64.
>
> Can you please summarize what directories are used to support the different
> architectures? I think that if we see the existing stuff laid out in one place,
> we can see what the pattern is, and where to put lsb version of things should
> be more obvious.

Is it perhaps time to do hidden directories so that /usr/lib/libc.a
expands automagically to /usr/lib/ia64/libc.a for ia64 boxen and
/usr/lib/ia32/libc.a for ia32 boxen?

I've used several systems with this sort of feature and it makes
architectural dependencies =much= easier to handle.
--
 11:16pm  up 1 day,  1:50,  3 users,  load average: 1.30, 1.27, 1.27