Re: URGENT [PROPOSAL] V3: lsb lib and lsb loader location (alsoIA64)

.. cc: snipped.

Julie wrote:

> > > The same holds for sparc32/sparc64, mips/mips64, powerpc/powerpc64,
> > >  and ia32/x86-64.
> >
> > Can you please summarize what directories are used to support the different
> > architectures? I think that if we see the existing stuff laid out in one place,
> > we can see what the pattern is, and where to put lsb version of things should
> > be more obvious.
>
> Is it perhaps time to do hidden directories so that /usr/lib/libc.a
> expands automagically to /usr/lib/ia64/libc.a for ia64 boxen and
> /usr/lib/ia32/libc.a for ia32 boxen?
>
> I've used several systems with this sort of feature and it makes
> architectural dependencies =much= easier to handle.

Yes, it looks nice at first, until you realize that each call to

     open ( ... )

suddenly does not solicit a file descriptor or error code, but a callback
"which context would you like ?". Exactly the kind of problem that has so
far prevented ACLs from taking the world by storm.

                                Thomas

*   Why not use metric units and get it right first time, every time ?
*
*   email: cmaae47 @ imperial.ac.uk
*   voice: +4420-7594-6912 (day)
*   fax:   +4420-7594-6958
*   snail: Thomas Sippel - Dau
*          Linux Services Manager
*          Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
*          The Center for Computing Services
*          Exhibition Road
*          Kensington SW7 2BX
*          Great Britain