Re: URGENT [PROPOSAL] V3: lsb lib and lsb loader location (also IA64)

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Jim Knoble wrote:

> Circa 2001-Jun-21 21:07:37 -0400 dixit Stuart Anderson:
>
> : On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> : > Is there any need to embed the `ia' bit in the name? Why not just
> : > /lib/lsb32 (or /lib/lsb32compat though I don't think we even need the
> : > compat suffix). The same directories can then be used for sparc64 and
> : > ppc64 systems (no need to install both ia32 and ppc32 libraries on the
> : > same machine).
> :
> : I very much like this generalization.
>
> I don't.  Perhaps there aren't systems yet that can act like more than
> one 64-bit (or 32-bit) architecture, but that doesn't mean we should be
> so short-sighted as to expect there never to be.  And is 'ia64'
> different from whatever AMD's 64-bit architecture is called?  If they
> are different, i think it possible, if not likely, that distributions
> would want to include libraries for both architectures on the same
> system (and hence call them different things).

Good points. What I really meant was that I liked the fact that we were
starting to think about the problem in general, and not just as ia32 on is64,
as has been the focus of discussion for a while.

> Or what about cross-compiling LSB-compliant ia32 apps on an alpha
> system with the appropriate cross-compiler?

Cross compiling stuff is easy.

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson@metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
5807 North Andrews Way                           129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.660.2500                              voice: 803.951.3630
http://www.metrolink.com/                        XFree86 Core Team
Creative Applications Lab Chair - SIGGRAPH 2001