Re: URGENT [PROPOSAL] V3: lsb lib and lsb loader location (also IA64)

Wichert:

Re:

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Johannes Poehlmann wrote:
> > 1. lsb library location.
> >
> >    lsb libraries native for this architecture
> >    runtime  libraries         ->      /lib/lsb
> >    Stub  libraries            ->      /usr/lib/lsb-stub
> >
> >    IA32 emulation libraries on non IA32 systems (IA64)
> >    runtime  libraries ->      /lib/lsb-ia32compat
> >    Stub        libraries      ->      /usr/lib/lsb-stub-ia32compat
>
> Imho this is silly. IA64 can run IA32 binaries natively, and should
> also be able to run IA32 software unchanged. But since you use
> /lib/lbs-ia32compat instead of the normal /lib/lsb that isn't possible
> so you completely break that nice feature of ia64 systems.

IA64 _does_ require one to provide ia32 libs for ia32 binaries to
execute. The IA64 kernel has been updated to know about and handle
ia32 apps, but you cannot run ia32 apps without matching ia32 libs on
an IA64 system.
For this reason we need to specify a directory where lsb compatible
ia32 libraries would be located.