Re: another volunteer

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 11:57:45PM +0200, Alfonso De Gregorio wrote:

> In my opinion, the GNU/Linux Security SIG should address only
> the security issues ingrained in either the system interface
> or the environment described in LSB specifications.

> I should be out of the scope of this SIG to describe how:
> the developers of GNU/Linux distributions must implement commands
> and utilities in a "secure" and robust way (code auditing and
> developing are inevitably vendors tasks).

In the Discussion which led to the idea to form a security SIG
my focus was to guarantee GNU/Linux distributors freedom to make
there System as secure as possible.
Chapter 17 (FHS) is mainly written to avoid the situation that
a System is "to secure" to execute a LSB compliant app. You can
call that "protecting the interface".
Ruling out direct manipulation of user/group files in Chapter 16
guarantee the possibility for distributors to use more secure
authentication modules without breaking LSB compliance.

> However, since I have not searched yet the list archive for related
> threads, I am simingly missing some goals for this SIG.
I see these groups of tasks:
o Protect the LSB interface so that it does not implilcitly forces
  a system to "deactivate his shields and cloak devices".
o Give security guidelines to application developers
o Give security guidelines to LSB compliant system developers.

I agree that these "guidelines" should not become part of the lsb spec
as a binding part. Let us concentrate on the spec now and if we did
all the necessary wording to protect the Interface.
Anything else should not block the spec.

> Here it is a partial list of issues that may or may not be addressed
> by the Security SIG. It would be nice add to it other issues and
> group its items in a "must be addressed" and "must not be addressed"
> lists.

I added my !comments

          Item                    |Relevant Spec. Sections| Comments
 ---------------------------------|-----------------------|----------
 libc functions prone to security | 10.1                  | !SLIP
 problems                         |                       |
 ---------------------------------|-----------------------|----------
 cryptographic hash functions     | chapter 13            | !SLIP
 supported for packages verificati|                       |
 ---------------------------------|-----------------------|----------
 security issues in dynamic linkin| chapter 7             | !insert a warning
                                                             that the program
                                                             interpreter will
                                                             eventually ignore
                                                             some of the LD_*
                                                             environ. var.
                                                             [I will do that]
 -----------------------------------|----------------------|----------
 /dev/{u,}random behavior and how   |                      | more
 seeds are handled at system        |                      |generally:
 initialization                     |                      | PRNG
                                                             !SLIP
 -----------------------------------|----------------------|----------
 security and environment variables |                      |!SLIP
 (eg. IFS, PATH, TMPDIR, etc...)    |                      |
 -----------------------------------|----------------------|----------
 Posix.1e (POSIX.6)                 |                      |!what is to do ?
 -----------------------------------|----------------------|----------
 PAM or more generally              |                      |!SLIP
 authentication mechanisms          |                      |
 -----------------------------------|----------------------|----------
 users & groups                     | Chapter 16           | alreay
                                    |                      | present
                                    |                      |----------
                                    |                      | DAC?
                                    |                      | ! ????
 -----------------------------------|----------------------|----------
 ownerships and permissions         | 17.2                 | already
                                    |                      | present
 Internation Kernel Patch and its   |                      | !we do not
 support                            |                      | ! want apps
                                                             ! to touch the
                                                             ! kernel

--
    /  ___/__/  /                 Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH