Re: more interfaces for the lsb spec

> I suspect that encouraging backup systems to shell out to /sbin/mount
> might not be the better choice....

Agreed.

>    valloc is used in a _lot_ of BSD originated codebase and some SYS5. Its
>    just sort of useful.
>
> Are there really that many programs that use this feature?  Unless
> you're doing some kind of direct I/O, you generally don't care about
> major alignment issues.  The only thing I can think of that would care

I meet it regularly in apps. Its used for example to allocate a block of
address space to mmap over. Lots of other page aligned goodies lurk

> might be enough, but if that's the case, we'll need to check what other
> requirements an X server might need --- like iopl() and ioperm(), for
> example.)

The Linux 'unusual' syscall requirements are in a couple of places. Im not
sure we want to define the Xserver needed stuff. It gets into agpgart, mice,
physical mmap, pci bus inquries, /proc/bus/pci ...

> Yup, we need someone to write up a spec which details how our getopt
> differs from POSIX.2's getopt, and we need someone to write up a
> getopt_long and friends spec.

Thats covered in the glibc info doc and I think pastable