lpr subset standard wanted

Dan,

Per your request regarding print spooling.

George (gk4)

------

The following options are common between BSD lpr, LPRng, and GNU lpr.

-c = cifplot data filter
-d = tex data filter
-g = plot data filter
-l = binary data - do not filter
-n = ditroff data filter
-p = format with pr
-t = troff data filter
-v = raster image data like Benson Varian filter
-Pprinter - send output to printer
-h = suppress header page
-m mailto - send mail to mailto upon completion of spooling
-s = use symbolic link to file - compatability only on LPRng
-#copies
-1,2,3,4fontname = font for troff font position i
-C class = Class for burst page
-J jobname = job name for burst page
-T title - title for pr
-U username = user name for job
-i cols = indent input by cols columns
-w width = page width

The -1, -2, -3, -4, and -s options are ignored on LPRng and are there for
compatibility only

The differences for CUPS are that the following parameters are accepted but
ignored:
-m mailto
-s
-i
-w
-c
-d
-g
-n
-t
-v
and the -1,-2,-3,-4, and -U options cause an error

So CUPS has in common with the others only:
-l = binary data - do not filter
-p = format with pr
-Pprinter - send output to printer
-h = suppress header page
-s = use symbolic link to file - compatability only on LPRng, CUPS
-#copies
-C class = Class for burst page
-J jobname = job name for burst page
-T title - title for pr

My thanks to Jim McDonough for the above information.

---------------------- Forwarded by Sheila Harnett/Austin/IBM on 01/11/2001

Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@transmeta.com> on 01/11/2001 04:14:32 PM

Please respond to quinlan@transmeta.com