Re: [PROPOSAL] (Ch.16 FHS) be more specific on file/dir permissions

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 tytso@mit.edu wrote:

> Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:55:14 -0500
> From: tytso@mit.edu
> To: johannes@caldera.de
> Cc: lsb-spec@lists.linuxbase.org
> Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] (Ch.16 FHS) be more specific on file/dir
>     permissions
>
>    Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 13:40:04 +0100
>    From: Johannes Poehlmann <johannes@caldera.de>
>
>    Problem:
>
>        LSB says nothing about File Permissions.
>
>        o   This makes it possible to set up an LSB-conforming package
> 	   and a LSB conforming Linux system where the application can
> 	   not run on the linux system.
>
>        o   LSB-conforming systems should be allowed to use very restrictive
> 	   permission schemes, not to make security and LSB a contradiction.
>
> I'm not sure we want to go here.  Permissions generally are a system
> administrator issue much more than they are a distribution issue, and
> trying to word things so that we don't prohibit perfectly sane
> configurations might be very difficult.
Exactly! i would say that we should recognize it, maybe saying that
a kind of reasonable permission scheme is suggested (that is almost what
we say shipping with most distributions), and the system
manager is free
to use a mutch more restrictive one as mutch as a less restrictive one.

Luigi Genoni