Re: Chapter 15. Users & Groups: mininal UID for normal Users

On Tue, Dec 05, Johannes Poehlmann wrote:

> Chapter 15. Users & Groups is not decided on the minimal value for UIDs/GIDs:
>
> 	All normal users and normal user groups will
> 	be above the uid/gid of 100. No system required
> 	uid or gid is to be placed above uid/gid 99 as
> 	this may clash with real users imported via
> 	NIS or LDAP from other Unix systems. (FIXME:
> 	What about Red Hat's use of 500 for this? Do
> 	other Linux distributions all use 100? Is there
> 	another standard we can reference which contains
> 	the 100 rule?)
>
> Checking some Linuxes I realized that more Distributions avoid UID´s <500
> for normal users. This is good becauset some time in the future 99 system
> users could be not enough.
>
> 	I think, we should recommend or even require the UID range
> 	of 101 to 499 to reserved for future assignment by the
> 	Linux Standard Base.

Yes, I agree with this. We should say that normal users should have
a UID >= 500 so we have some reserved  space for future enhancements.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/       kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Schanzaeckerstr. 10            90443 Nuernberg