Re: Question about Facility names

"Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@MIT.EDU> writes:

> My big complaint with the Ssytem V scheme is that using numbers is
> simply *stupid*.  What does it mean to start a script after S50?  I have
> no idea, it depends on the distribution.  If only the distributions
> provide init scripts, you can say sure, use chkconfig(8) (although
> that's not standard across all distributions, and doesn't work all that
> well in my experience).  But if a sysadmin wants to add his/her own init
> script, it's not at all obvious where to add it, without having to trace
> through all of the various init levels.  Trying to figure out what the
> heck is going on is not at *all* obvious.

i must say it's only a matter of the tools how to present the
information or how to help the sysadmin.

> NEED="foo bar"
> PROVIDES="baz quux"
> at the beginning of the shell script, and then reference the shell
> variables later on in the init script.  That's a pretty easy way to
> solve the problem.

in this case i would prefer the system of richard to get everything
ordered by init, better of what i'll begin to guess a big shell script
file who do the ordering (see: /etc/init.d/functions on a RH based
system if you are not conviced).

--
MandrakeSoft Inc                     http://www.chmouel.org
                      --Chmouel