Re: PROPOSAL for FHS revised : Mount points for CDs, floppies and a lien OS partitions.]

On 30 Jun 2000, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > While I see your point, I don't think that files are quite the same thing
> > as mount points. I understand that both make use of filesystem nodes, but
> > they are each quite different.
>
> Exactly why?  FIFOs are also "quite different" but if an application
> wants a temporary fifo, it puts it in /tmp.

Well, FIFOs and files/directories are all objects within the "local" file
system. A mount point specifically points into a different file system.
(Not that this is any great distinction)

> > Your suggestion seems to be asking for a change in current practice, as
> > many distro's package managers already use /var/lib/<something>/ for their
> > temporary/volatile mount points. Would your idea of specifying
> > /tmp/<something> require that these packages move there mount points to
> > /tmp? Why would this be a good idea?
>
> I would object to *any* specification.

Ahh! Now I understand! (I had thought we were try to answer the question:
"If we have to spec something, what does not collide with current local
use/practice?", and becoming frustrated by a lack of closure)

I agree, with slight reservations. Declaring safe practices (like the use
of /tmp or /var) is bound to be beneficial...

> My comments about /tmp are intended to point out that package managers
> already have a perfectly good solution, *already* supported.  If they
> want to use /var/lib that's fine with me too.

Understood ... at last ;-)

Luck,

Dwarf