Re: PROPOSAL for FHS revised : Mount points for CDs, floppies and a lien OS partitions.]

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> While I see your point, I don't think that files are quite the same thing
> as mount points. I understand that both make use of filesystem nodes, but
> they are each quite different.

Exactly why?  FIFOs are also "quite different" but if an application
wants a temporary fifo, it puts it in /tmp.

> Your suggestion seems to be asking for a change in current practice, as
> many distro's package managers already use /var/lib/<something>/ for their
> temporary/volatile mount points. Would your idea of specifying
> /tmp/<something> require that these packages move there mount points to
> /tmp? Why would this be a good idea?

I would object to *any* specification.

My comments about /tmp are intended to point out that package managers
already have a perfectly good solution, *already* supported.  If they
want to use /var/lib that's fine with me too.