Re: PROPOSAL for FHS revised : Mount points for CDs, floppies and alien OS partitions.]

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 03:02:12PM +0200, Johannes Poehlmann wrote:

> Problem:
> ========
>
> There is no defined/legal place, where cdroms, floppies or
> alien OS partitions go to.

And why is this a problem?  Why should it not be local policy?  Perhaps
I missed this explanation in an earlier message.

[...]

> There may be a new subdirectory "/mounts". It may contain subdirectories
> which are mount points for removable media like floppy disk, cdrom
> or DVD drives. Also may there be subdirectories which are mount points
                      ^^^^^^^^^
"there may"

> Temporary mounts are done on /mnt.

Is it really necessary to clutter / with two directories for mount
points?  Why not use this opportunity to get organized, and move
everything into /mnt with /mnt/tmp for temporary mount points?  Better
yet, why not leave it to local policy?

> There may be convenience (soft) links "/cdrom" and "/floppy" which point
> into the directory "/mnt.d" if the latter exists.

You still have /mnt.d here.

> It is recommended (not required !) that /mounts is structured this way:

Then what's the point if it's only recommended?  I worry that you'll end
up with admins and distributions who think they can change the structure
and lazy ISVs who will rely on it and thereby force local policy.

All you've really done is require /mount and /mnt to exist.  This does
nothing to fix the supposed problem.  Competent ISVs will still not know
where their media is mounted because the actual mount points listed
below are not required.

And IMHO there's no good reason for the LSB/FHS to specify mount points
anyway.  The only benefit I see is that it saves vendors from asking one
simple question during software installs.  The significant downside is
that it steamrolls over local policy, and discourages creative use of
mount (e.g. what if I have my CD exported via NFS from another machine?
If the vendor wants the data in /mounts/cdrom0, I'll be forced to mount
a network file system where local cdroms should be mounted).

Cheers,

	Brian

> /mounts--+
> 	 +-cdrom0
> 	 +-cdrom1
> 	 +-cdrom...
>          +-cdburner0
>          +-cdburner1
>          +-cdburner..
>          +-dvd0
>          +-dvd1
>          +-dvd.....
> 	 +-floppy0
> 	 +-floppy1
> 	 +-floppy...
>          +-other removable media.....
>          +-dos-+
>          +--nt-+
>          +--other classes of alien partitions........

[...]