Re: PROPOSAL for FHS: Mount points for CDs, floppies and alien OS partitions.

> > Nobody I know in the modern Unix world uses /mnt that way
>
> Mabe not you. But I know a lot who uses it this way. And I
> know a lot of installation instructions from commercial
> software which says you should use it. So they always have
> a fixed start point in the docu and don't need to take
> care about the real path to the cdrom or which medium ever
> is used.

And I have a pile of Linux books that say to use /mnt/cdrom. I have Linux
packages that say /mnt/cdrom ...

> Where is the difference ? /mnt/foo is harder to find then a link
> /foo to -> /mnt.d/foo. That's all I can see.

You are still missing the biggest point

Mounts should be by _volume_name_ or handy label not by device.

Another common location for remote mounts is /export/machinename/...

Alan