Re: PROPOSAL for FHS: Mount points for CDs, floppies and alien OS partitions.

On Wed, Jun 14, Alan Cox wrote:

> > There is no defined/legal place, where cdroms, floppies or
> > alien OS partitions go to.
> >
> > Suse uses	    /floppy, /cdrom etc.
> > Caldera uses	    /mnt/floppy, /mnt/floppy.
> Red Hat uses /mnt/floppy /mnt/cdrom
>
> > "/mnt" is reserved as a temporary mount point and not as
> > a directory of mount points by common practice. On
>
> Nobody I know in the modern Unix world uses /mnt that way

Mabe not you. But I know a lot who uses it this way. And I
know a lot of installation instructions from commercial
software which says you should use it. So they always have
a fixed start point in the docu and don't need to take
care about the real path to the cdrom or which medium ever
is used.

> > There may be a convenience (soft) link "/cdrom" and "/floppy" which point
> > into the directory "/mnt.d" if the latter exists.
>
> Ugly IMHO. I'd rather keep /mnt/foo

Where is the difference ? /mnt/foo is harder to find then a link
/foo to -> /mnt.d/foo. That's all I can see.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/       kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Schanzaeckerstr. 10            90443 Nuernberg