Re: PROPOSAL: Mount points for CDs, floppies and alien OS partitions. (forwarded)

On Wed, Jun 14, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> Proposed Solution:
> ==================
>
> There may be a new subdirectory "/mnt.d". It may contain subdirectories
> which are mount points for removable media like floppy disk, cdrom
> or DVD drives. Also may there be subdirectories which are mount points
> for non linux partitions.
>
> There may be a convenience (soft) link "/cdrom" and "/floppy" which point
> into the directory "/mnt.d" if the latter exists.

Don't forget the user. If you don't use the automounter (autofs is
not very good for this, superfloppy is good, but not ported to current
kernel), how do you explain the user that he needs to call
"mount /mnt.d/cdrom" to access the cdrom over the /cdrom link ?

We can use "/cdrom" and "/floppy" and "/zip". And if you wish
to use an automounter which don't support direct links, create
a "/.autofs" directory or whatever and let /cdrom be a link into
this directory. Only because autofs is in the moment the only
automounter who cannot use direct mounts, we don't need to use
this hacks as default.

This would be the solution which works in every case and I like
best.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/       kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Schanzaeckerstr. 10            90443 Nuernberg