Re: PROPOSAL: a common menu system.

Adrian Schroeter <adrian@suse.de> writes:

> > Like Peter said it's not only for X11 but also for console application
> > (but well it's launched via a $xterm -c "" so it's semi X11).
>
> okay, but there is no console application which has such a list, so
> menu-methods will not be there, when no X11 and no windowmanager is
> installed. maybe I am wrong ?

Debian has a package called pdmenu which is a text based menu
system. It uses the same system for generating it's menus. (And no, it
won't use $xterm -c or something like it.)

If we want a menu system it shoould be generally useable not just in
X11. Berlin and textmode is both places wher menu systems could be
used. (Yes I know Berlin is not really existing)

But this boils down to two things: The configurations files shouldn't
necessary be placed in /etc/X11 and it should be possible to mark
something avaiable only if some constraints i fulfilled.

This could be done with an extension to the KDE/Gnome stuff. I would
prefer the debian menu system but thats only because I know it and I
don't know the Gnome/Kde solutions.

--
Peter er ikke sur, han er sær -- og han er ikke DIKUs sureste koder,
men måske nok DIKUs særeste ;)