Re: Proposal: Motif Widget set

Previously Alan Cox wrote:
> Do we care ?

No.

> What is the Debian position on whether Open Motif is open source ?

Definitely non-free. Even TOG (or should that be The Not So Open Group? :)
admits that in their FAQ.

> Finally the License itself is not valid in more enlightened parts of the world
> where
>
>   No party to this Agreement will bring a legal action under this
>   Agreement more than one year after the cause of action arose. Each
>   party waives its rights to a jury trial in any resulting litigation.
>
> is not permitted.

It's also silly.

> > + there is an open source test suite
> > + the Linux community was behind the toolkit
>
> It isnt I think behind the toolkit.

The only applications that I can think of that use it are ddd, plan and nedit.
None of my systems even seem to have lesstif or motif installed, so I guess
that it's not very popular at all. What does `being behing a toolkit' mean
anyway?

> Having said that I dont think this one
> is neccessary. Motif is something a lot of ISV's need and isnt intrusive. Its
> something everyone uses as part of netscape.

And netscape is switching to gtk as well as we can see in mozilla.

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@liacs.nl                    http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |