Re: Proposal: Motif Widget set

> + there is an open source(1) implementation (LGPL okay, GPL not.  Qt 2.0
> probably okay, Qt 1.0 not.)

Firstly it isnt clear that all Linux distributions are 'Open Source Programs'
within the meaning of the license. Some for example ship binary only modules
(eg the nvidia direct render X driver) which would mean they couldn't ship
Motif.

Do we care ?

What is the Debian position on whether Open Motif is open source ?
Finally the License itself is not valid in more enlightened parts of the world
where

  No party to this Agreement will bring a legal action under this
  Agreement more than one year after the cause of action arose. Each
  party waives its rights to a jury trial in any resulting litigation.

is not permitted.

> + there is an open source test suite
> + the Linux community was behind the toolkit

It isnt I think behind the toolkit. Having said that I dont think this one
is neccessary. Motif is something a lot of ISV's need and isnt intrusive. Its
something everyone uses as part of netscape.

I would very much like to hear the Debian view in paticular on whether
'OpenMotif' is Open. If it is then I am all for adding Motif as a
non-required LSB component. Effectively the first 'additional specification'.
It guarantees that lsb-motif-1.0 is the same for all, it enables ISV's to ship
motif applications dynamic and also will help those who use motif based
free apps like xftp, plan ...

Alan