Re: BUG in LSB-FHS-TS_SPEC

Thorsten
Thanks for the bug reports. Did you check the ISSUES list.
These are problems in the underlying FHS spec.
I attach the issues.txt file.
regards
Andrew

On May 16,  9:42am in "BUG in LSB-FHS-TS_SP", Thorsten Kukuk wrote:

> @ /etc/mtools, 3.4-15(A)
>
> Problem:
> LSB-FHS checks for /etc/mtools. This file is obsolete, the name
> of the mtools config files is /etc/mtools.conf
>
> Action:
> Check for the correct config file, or remove this test. I don't
> think that a FHS test suite should check for config files of
> special applications.
>
> @ /etc/disktab, 3.4-4(A)
>
> Problem:
> LSB-FHS checks for /etc/disktab. This is an old, obsolete file
> for mtools, which seems is not longer in use.
>
> Action:
> Remove checks for obsolete config files.
>
>   best regards,
>     Thorsten
>
>-- End of excerpt from Thorsten Kukuk

FHS2.1 Issues List (Draft 1)
------------------------------
Thu Apr 20 10:14:39 BST 2000

This file contains a list of possible issues with the FHS2.1 specification
based on assessing test results.
For each a specification reference and the associated test assertion
are quoted together with some commentary.

We will need to assess where the problems lie, in the specification
or in the test suite.

Reference 3.4-3(A)
If the implementation provides a C-shell
     The implementation provides the file /etc/csh.login

Is this a mandatory requirement that all FHS compliant systems
provide a default /etc/csh.login

Reference 3.4-4(A)
The implementation provides the file /etc/disktab

We  understand that disktab is a BSD filesystem/partition related file.
Is this meant to be /etc/fstab? or something else ?

Reference 3.4-10(A)
The implementation provides the file /etc/confissue

Should this really be /etc/issue?

Reference 3.4-15(A)
The implementation provides the file /etc/mtools

Should this be mtools.conf ?

Reference 3.4-21(A)
The implementation provides the file /etc/ttytype

This appears to be Linux specific, at best it ought to be
in the Linux annex, or perhaps removed.

-----------

These may only be present if you have configured
your machine accordingly, the FHS mandates them . Is this
correct or should these be made optional.

Note: If you look at the scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ many of
them look for the existence of a file before attempting to
startup a service; therefore, creating empty configuration
files may cause problems.

Reference 3.4-22(A)
The implementation provides the file /etc/exports

Reference 3.4-23(A)
The implementation provides the file /etc/ftpusers

Reference 3.4-24(A)
The implementation provides the file /etc/gateways

Reference 3.4-29(A)
The implementation provides the file /etc/hosts.equiv

Reference 3.4-30(A)
The implementation provides the file /etc/hosts.lpd

Reference 3.4-32(A)
The implementation provides the file /etc/networks

----

The following may fail on architectures other than x86, and hence it
could be argued that the FHS2.1 specification is x86 specific:

Reference 3.1-29 (A)
The implementation provides an exec-able version of the setserial
utility in the /bin directory.

Note this also appears Linux specific and ought to be in the Linux
annex, some system might not support it.

Reference 3.4-12(A)
The implementation provides the file /etc/lilo.conf

This is only true for x86, on sparc its silo.conf, on
alphas milo.conf , so this really needs to be architecture specific.