Re: [proofreading] Re: Initscripts management proposal

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > Thats a beautiful example. You want to start some kind of mail service before
> > > you run inn and it goes off to mail you about how your config file sucks, you
> > > dont care which
> >
> > inn is use(less)net and not mail.
>
> Never, and I thought it washed underpants!
>
> inn relies on mail services running, reread what I said. If your mail service
> isnt up inn can't email you helpful complaints as it runs. You know the
> 10,000 pages of summaries show that alt.sex.bondage.pensioner.sheep is the
> top read ISP news group - the ones you delete from the news account weekly

When I said I wanted to get rid of sendmail as name for the service I
indicated I might want to install postfix instead of sendmail in my very
own distribution.

Just like you said that the name apache was not fit to indicate a http
server but it should be called httpd. For the same reason is it unsound to
call a smtp server sendmail when in fact it isn't send mail at all.

I'm aware there may be plenty of services depending on an operational smtp
server. So why the example of inn would justify the use of sendmail over
smtpd is just beyond me. (And that's why I point out that you should not
trust inn with your underpants ;-)

The use of /usr/lib/sendmail as binary by all mail packages does not
constitute enough reason to warrant the usage of sendmail as a name for
your favorite 'pick of the month' smtp/email server.

Hugo.

hvdkooij@caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
Use of any of my email addresses for unsollicited (commercial)
    email is a clear intrusion of my privacy and illegal!