Re: Initscripts management proposal

   Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 20:30:26 +0000 (GMT)
   From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>

   > Facility names that begin with a dollar sign ('$') are system facility
   > names, defined by the LSB, and MUST be provided by distributions.  LSB
   > applications should not provide system facilities.  This document
   > defines the following system facility names:

   Umm $.. Oh great - Ted when was the last time you wrote in /bin/sh 8) Can
   we pick a less loaded character say _

Facility names never appear in init.d scripts except in the
commented-out descriptor block.  They're logical names which only have
to get parsed by the initd shell script installer.  Granted, it makes it
a little bit harder to write said installer as a shell script, but it's
only a little bit more of a pain.

   > 	apmd atd crond dhclient dhcpcd gpm halt identd inet
   > 	httpd kudzu klogd lpd mcserv named nfs nfslock pcmcia
   > 	portmap random routed rstatd rusersd rwhod sendmail smb
   > 	snmpd sshd syslog xfs xntpd ypbind

   Can we swap these for generic equivalences 'kudzu' is very Red Hat and
   doesnt explain what it does 'hwchanges' would.. - its like httpd versus
   apache 8)

This was a list of init.d names that would have to be reserved, given
that RedHat 6.x is using kudzu.  It's probably also a good idea to
reserve "hwchanges", and encourage distributions to use that name in the
future.

						- Ted