Re: libmail?

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@transmeta.com> writes:

> Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo wrote:
> >
> > We have been playing with a few ideas to overcome this, since it
> is
> > needed to store IMAP state information. As you said, conceptually
> it
> > is very close, but quite annoying if you access a mailbox with a
> > program that uses c-client and then with something that doesn't.
> >

> This is presumably only an issue for traditional Unix mailbox
> format,
> right?

Yes, although since libmailbox (as it is presently known) is designed
to support multiple (= as many kinds as possible) mailbox formats, it
is also an issue as to how to implement this for, say, Maildir in a
clean manner.

> Could the auxilliary state information be kept in a parallel file,
> say
> /var/mail/user.imap?  That way, you could also use the timestamps on
> the
> files to determine if the state information needs to be regenerated.

Yes, that is one of the ideas that has been floated around.

Oh, and it appears that while I was composing the previous message,
GNU went and threw my world upside down and moved mailutils to a
different CVS server. Now at:
:pserver:USERNAME@subversions.gnu.org:/home/cvs (still module
mailutils) or on cvsweb at
http://subversions.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/mailutils/. Hopefully this
shouldn't change before I hit send again. :)

--
Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo - jkaivo@ndn.net - http://jakob.kaivo.net/