Re: /usr/sbin/sendmail specification proposal, draft 4

Stuart Anderson <anderson@metrolink.com> writes:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 gk4@us.ibm.com wrote:
> >

> > Then is the ultimate goal to create a GNU libmta.so or libmapi.so for
> > UNIX/Linux?    Could we note this in the LSB specification that this is
> > what is needed for consistency, then create an LSB/GNU todo to have a new
> > subproject created?
> This is what I have though was needed for a long time. Doesn't c-client
> provide most of this functionallity?

Yes, but c-client is horribly slow, leaves mailboxes with annoying "DO
under the circumspect UW license...

But, there is hope. I have been working (with a couple of others) on
the forthcoming GNU mailutils package, which includes, among other
things, a library (may become libraries) that provide better than
c-client funcionality under LGPL. I hadn't mentioned it before because
I didn't want it to sound like a conflict of interests, but in this
case the API is still under development and can still be adaptable to
emerging standards such as this. Comments are, of course, welcome.

Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo - jkaivo@ndn.net - http://jakob.kaivo.net/