Re: [PROPOSAL] Cron jobs

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:

> And where are you going to get an XPG3 compliant shell.  Does bash have
> a mode it can run as an XPG3 compliant shell ?

No, but if people use features found in bash 2.0, it will not work
with bash 1.x.  We need to finish this issue in a separate thread.

> What about XPG3 compliant utilities - which utilities are you going to
> guarantee are present.

Another thread.  This is a major part of the LSB specification.
All someone needs to do is write a proposal.

> (This is a bigger issue than just cron - its one Ive been pondering for
>  init scripts and stuff)

The scripts need to be rely on the standard base or they need to rely
on stuff in /opt/<package>.  (In other words, they would need to be
LSB compliant.)

>>  - do we require anacron in the standard base system?

> I dont think so. We require the "crontab" tool or maybe some kind
> of cron-add cron-delete wrapper ?

anacron is something else.  anacron is software that allows machines
to not be run 24x7 by running cron jobs that were missed after boot.
I'm actually not in favor of requiring a specific solution, but
anacron has been mentioned several times

I do think we need a way for cron jobs to specify whether they should
be run after boot if they have been missed.  There may be instances
where jobs don't want to be run after being missed.

>>  - do we use the above system or an "install-cron" program wrapper?

> I'd go for a wrapper

I do think there are cases where a wrapper makes more sense, but I
don't actually think this is one of them.

 - this is a really flexible system
 - /etc/cron.<period> is included in most distributions, the odds that
   non-compliant software to use it is high because it is a de-facto
   standard
 - system administration benefits
 - non-distribution specific documentation benefits

Dan