Re: Resolutions to comments on LSB-FHS-TS_SPEC_V1.0

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> If we must back out /var/mail (for no good technical reason that I can
> determine), then at the very least I think we should state that there
> that for all compliant distributions, /var/mail *MUST* be a valid way of
> reaching the spool directory (i.e., there should be a symlink there, or
> where the spool directory actually lives)

If you include this change, will using ~/Mailbox violate the FHS?  Does
it already?  Should it?  Should we require symlinks from
/var/mail/$USER to ~$USER/Mailbox?

Switching a single one-user system to ~/Mailbox is easy, btw.
Switching a single multi-user system to ~/Mailbox is likely to cause a
certain amount of pain.  Distributing applications to millions of
people, some of whom use one convention, and some of whom use another,
is surely asking for trouble.

Computers are the tools of the devil. It is as simple as that. There is no
monotheism strong enough that it cannot be shaken by Unix or any Microsoft
product. The devil is real. He lives inside C programs. -- philg@mit.edu