Re: Resolutions to comments on LSB-FHS-TS_SPEC_V1.0

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Erik Troan wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
>
> > New systems would need to have a /var/spool/mail -> /var/mail symbolic
> > link for about two years.
>
> No, forever. Red Hat is promising an upgrade path for a lot longer then two
> years -- we've already provided upgradeable distributions for 3.5.

. . . which is good, because there are probably many people out there
like me who have something approximating Red Hat 3.2 systems from
secondhand CDs.

Ten or fifteen years is probably reasonable.

Interfaces should stay fairly stable.

Has anyone compared Linux's signal.h (the one that actually lists the
signal numbers) to the signal.h from Version 6 Unix for the PDP-11?
There are 22 years of difference, but it looks like about a year.  :)

Computers are the tools of the devil. It is as simple as that. There is no
monotheism strong enough that it cannot be shaken by Unix or any Microsoft
product. The devil is real. He lives inside C programs. -- philg@mit.edu