Re: removing architecture dependencies

On 14-Jun-2002 anderson@freestandards.org wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
>

>> The xml for individual packages occasionally
>> contains architecture dependencies.  It would
>> be nice to abstract these out to the extent
>> possible - perhaps to definitions in
>> entities/packages?
>
> Yes!, I think that is the way to go.

definately, although it does not help us with things like bin86 which ia32
needs but none of the other arches do.

>> Here are the two files I'm aware of at the moment:
>>
>> kernel.xml:
>>              <make>
>>                      <base>
>>                              &build_dir;/&linux-directory;
>>                      </base>
>>                      <param>bzImage</param>
>>              </make>
>>
>> bzImage is not necessarily the correct build target
>> for other architectures besides ia32.
>
> The kernel doesn't actually end up being included in the LSB-SI, we just
> need it's headers to build a thing or two. Can we get by using a lesser
> target such as "make all" that will work everywhere?

Recall part of the rationale for using the full build here was the tests wanted
a kernel.  Since this is under review a simple headers make (or make all as you
suggest) should be possible coupled with a kernel package to be installed
before the test suite is run.

>> In glibc.xml:
>>              <search_replace>
>>
>> <base>&build_dir;/&glibc-directory;/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/</base>
>>                      <file>ldconfig.h</file>
>>                      <find>ld-linux.so.2</find>
>>                      <replace>ld-lsb.so.1</replace>
>>              </search_replace>
>>
>> But the path to the architecture-dependent directory
>> could be generalized to an externally defined entity.
>
> Yes. Can we carefully introduce some of these changes so that we don't break
> what's in CVS, but so that it will make it easier to continue work on some
> of the other platforms?

There are some changes I am making in cvs to both get the SI working under the
test suite and to clean up some cruft from its LFS roots.  Once these are in we
can start integrating new changes.