Re: removing architecture dependencies

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

> The xml for individual packages occasionally
> contains architecture dependencies.  It would
> be nice to abstract these out to the extent
> possible - perhaps to definitions in
> entities/packages?

Yes!, I think that is the way to go.

> Here are the two files I'm aware of at the moment:
>
> kernel.xml:
> 		<make>
> 			<base>
> 				&build_dir;/&linux-directory;
> 			</base>
> 			<param>bzImage</param>
> 		</make>
>
> bzImage is not necessarily the correct build target
> for other architectures besides ia32.

The kernel doesn't actually end up being included in the LSB-SI, we just
need it's headers to build a thing or two. Can we get by using a lesser
target such as "make all" that will work everywhere?

> for other architectures besides ia32. The target could
> be an externally defined entity. Later:
>
> 	<postbuild>
> 		<copy>
> 		        <base>
> 			        &build_dir;/&linux-directory;
> 			</base>
> 			<source>
> 			        arch/i386/boot/bzImage
> 			</source>
> 			<destination>
> 			        /boot/vmlinuz-&linux-version;
> 			</destination>
> 		</copy>
>
> For example, on Itanium, the bootable image ends up being
> vmlinux.gz at the top level of the kernel tree (after doing
> a "make compressed")...again, this could be an externally
> defined entity.

If we don't need the kernel, then do we need this step?

> In glibc.xml:
> 		<search_replace>
>
> <base>&build_dir;/&glibc-directory;/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/</base>
> 			<file>ldconfig.h</file>
> 			<find>ld-linux.so.2</find>
> 			<replace>ld-lsb.so.1</replace>
> 		</search_replace>
>
> But the path to the architecture-dependent directory
> could be generalized to an externally defined entity.

Yes. Can we carefully introduce some of these changes so that we don't break
what's in CVS, but so that it will make it easier to continue work on some
of the other platforms?

                                Stuart

anderson@freestandards.org                                Free Standards Group
Lead Developer, Written Specification                     Linux Standard Base