RE: Feedback on Working With LFS-Based SI

 There may be other ways to fix
> this, such as
> mounting the filesystem at /mnt/si and then modifying the xml
> files to use
> /mnt/si/lfs instead of /mnt/lfs.

The current sources allow you to choose your spot by running
a "configure" script (don't shudder, it's not one of the
GNU configure monsters).

> 2. The next problem I ran into was when it came time to build
> dummy-mta.
> The src/si/entities/package is looking for the
> dummy-mta-1.2.tar.gz file,
> but the pub/lsb/impl/lfs-si-update-20020508.tar.gz file has
> dummy-mta-1.1.tar.gz. This mismatch causes the build to fail.

I'm the other persion who ran into this.

> 6. The other general question I have is how to restart nALFS so it can
> continue the build. When I was testing and ran into the
> problems described
> above, each time I deleted everything in /mnt/lfs and started over. It
> seems to me there must be some way to resolve the immediate
> problem and
> pick up where nALFS left off. I would appreciate it if
> someone could tell
> me if this is possible and how to do it.

It isn't really pretty.

If you bring up the tool - after the initial build of the
bootstrap, i.e., you have the ...whatever-path.../lfs-harness,
you can give LSB.phase2.xml or LSB.phase3.xml as the arg,
depending on which one you need to restart.  phase2 is the full
build environment, phase3 is the target LSB SI.  With the
cursor on the toplevel element, hit the enter key to
open up.  Repeat as needed.  Run the "mount" steps if
you need to (i.e. if things have unmounted) by
putting the cursor on them and 's' followed by 'c' to start.
Then drop down to the first "chroot" step, open it up,
and rerun the bits that you need to the same way ('s', then 'c').

This seems to work for me, anyway.

I also ran into a problem by not being logged in as root,
so run this stuff either logged in as root, or make sure
you do "su -", because some minor bits of the build
will fail if /usr/sbin isn't part of the search path.
I believe a future release will take more steps to
protect us against ourselves in this area :-)

I'm presuming that when the corner cases are shaken out
there will be out great big tarball that's the "official"
si and we won't be building it ourselves.

Mats