Feedback on Working With LFS-Based SI

I started working with the LFS-based sample implementation a couple of
weeks ago and would like to share some of things I found to see if others
have seen the same thing or to find out what I did wrong. Here's what I
found.

1. Originally I worked with the manual process documented on the Linux From
Scratch web site. One of the beginning instructions tells you to create a
separate filesystem for the build and to mount it at /mnt/lfs. This causes
a problem with the multi-phase build of the SI because at some point it
tries to move /mnt/lfs to /mnt/lfs-harness. This produces a failure saying
/mnt/lfs cannot be removed since it is currently being used. The basic
problem is you cannot move a directory when it is the mount point for a
mounted filesystem. To get around this problem I simply mounted the
separate filesystem at /mnt. There may be other ways to fix this, such as
mounting the filesystem at /mnt/si and then modifying the xml files to use
/mnt/si/lfs instead of /mnt/lfs.

2. The next problem I ran into was when it came time to build dummy-mta.
The src/si/entities/package is looking for the dummy-mta-1.2.tar.gz file,
but the pub/lsb/impl/lfs-si-update-20020508.tar.gz file has
dummy-mta-1.1.tar.gz. This mismatch causes the build to fail. Apparently
someone else figured this out because now there is a dummy-mta-1.2.tar.gz
file in the pub/lsb/impl directory. Since this was not available when I
doing my testing I worked around the problem by extracting the
dummy-mta-1.1.tar.gz file, changing the directory name from dummy-mta-1.1
to dummy-mta-1.2, and then creating a new dummy-mta-1.2.tar.gz file. This
got me by the problem, but it didn't solve everything as demonstrated by my
next item.

3. After creating the dummy-mta-1.2.tar.gz file things went much further in
the build, but after two hours and thirty-five minutes it failed again when
trying to do "make install" on the dummy-mta-1.2 package. The makefile is
very simple only putting a sendmail file in /usr/sbin and then making a
symbolic link to /usr/lib/sendmail. This works fine in one of the earlier
phases, but it fails in the last phase because the sym link was already
there. To fix this problem I edited the makefile in dummy-mta-1.2 to use
"ln -sf" instead of "ln -s". After making this fix I was able to complete
building the si.

4. After having the si completely built, I next tested to see if all the
commands listed in the LSB spec were in the si. The only one I found
missing was /usr/bin/lsb_release. To resolve this I copied the
/usr/bin/lsb_release and /etc/lsb-release files from my Red Hat 7.3 system
to the si.

5. Next I ran lsblibchk on the si to see if all the libraries were there.
It reported all the X11 libraries as missing. I seem to remember someone
saying this was a known problem and was being worked on.

6. The other general question I have is how to restart nALFS so it can
continue the build. When I was testing and ran into the problems described
above, each time I deleted everything in /mnt/lfs and started over. It
seems to me there must be some way to resolve the immediate problem and
pick up where nALFS left off. I would appreciate it if someone could tell
me if this is possible and how to do it.

Regards,

Marvin Heffler
Linux Standard Base and Developers Toolbox
IBM Linux Technology Center
11400 Burnet Road, Zip 908-1A33
Austin, TX 78758
(512) 838-0953    T/L 678-0953